This is an Indonesian dish which is vegetarian and can be served as a main meal for 4 people or as a side for 6 people. It would go well with fish or chicken.
The salad is served warm or cool.
- For the salad200g trimmed snake beans or green beans, cut into 10cm lengths or left whole if the green beans are young
- 250g Chinese or Savoy cabbage, shredded (you could use drumhead)
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, halved
- 200g bean sprouts or 1/2 small lettuce, shredded
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut thinly on the diagonal
- 8 small (chat) potatoes cooked whole and then halved or 4 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into quarters and boiled
- 2 tab fried shallots to garnish
- For the satay sauce2 teaspoons vegetables oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
- 4 shallots or 1 small red onion
- 1 large red chilli (mild), de-seeded and chopped finely
- 1 or 2 birds eye chilli (hot), de-seeded and chopped finely (optional)
- 6 tablespoons crunchy peanut or other nut butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kecap manis
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
- salt, to taste
- Blanch the beans, carrots and cabbage separately in salted boiling water until just tender.
- remove the vegetables and dump immediately into a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process and retain colour
- drain and set aside while you make the satay sauce
- add the oil, garlic, onion and chilli to a large saucepan and set on the heat
- allow to cook until the onion is translucent and there's a release of aroma.
- add the peanut butter, water and coconut milk, palm sugar, sauce and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- remove the saucepan from the heat and adjust salt if necessary. Set aside while you assemble the salad
- arrange the vegetables on a serving platter, top with the eggs.
- drizzle the peanut sauce over the salad and garnish with a sprinkling of fired shallots.
Have all the ingredients for the satay sauce measured and ready to use.
You can increase the protein by adding150g cubed firm tofu which has been pan fried. Other vegetables such as cauliflower or broccoli florets or Asian greens can be added if you have them.