Spicy morsels for a party or larger patties for pita bread with salad; you'll love this recipe and varying the spice mix will introduce different versions.
It's important to note that the chickpeas are not pre-cooked or canned in this recipe. If you use cooked chickpeas, the mix will be too sloppy and won't stay formed when you fry the falafel.
- 1 kg dried chickpeas
- 3 medium onions
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ bunch fresh coriander or 2 tablespoons ground coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons seven spices (Arabic or Lebanese)
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- vegetable oil for frying
- Soak the chickpeas for 24 hours.
- place all the ingredients except for the bicarb soda and the oil into your food processor with a chopping blade attached. Blitz until you have a gritty mix that looks finer than tabouli but isn't a paste.
- refrigerate the mix for about an hour
- heat your oil (deep fry or shallow)
- form the mix into balls or patties and fry until browned all over.
- drain on paper and serve
Split picket pita bread and spread the inside with a little hummus. Stuff with falafel, shredded lettuce, grated carrot, tomato slices and picked or freshly grated beetroot.