Sweet Curry Beef
This recipe uses ingredients that are readily available in most kitchen pantries. Feel free to substitute as required. It's a little more complex than the other "Sweet Curry" recipe in this section.
- 1kg cubed stewing steak (blade or similar)
- 1 tablespoon fruit chutney
- 2 onions peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam
- 2 carrots peeled and chunked
- 1 small parsnip peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups of water or stock (stock cubes are fine)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (optional)
- Heat a little oil in a heavy based frypan
- Add meat in small batches and brown
- As it cooks, transfer meat to the slow cooker
- Brown vegetables and transfer to slow cooker
- Stir the curry powder into the frypan and cook in the pan juices until fragrant
- Pour water into the pan and stir to lift the brown bits off the base of the frypan
- Transfer water mixture to slow cooker
- Add sauces, chutney, jam and salt into the cooker and stir to combine.
- Place on the lid and cook for 4-5 hrs on High or 8 hours on low.
- If you need to thicken the curry sauce, add the cornflour to 2 tablespoons of water and stir to make a paste
- Stir paste into the curry and cook a couple of minutes to thicken
- Check your seasoning and add salt if required.
- Serve with rice.
Other vegetables can be added if you wish. Potato or sweet potato, peas, cauliflower would all work well.