This is an old fashion style of curry made with curry powder which you can use more or less of depending on your taste and family tolerance. Great for the slow cooker.
- 500g chicken, beef, pork or lamb
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, squashed with the flat blade of a knife
- 1 tab curry powder - I prefer 2 tab
- 1 cup water
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 apple, sliced
- 2 tab golden syrup
- 1 can crushed tomato or puree (or 1/2 cup tomato paste)
- Cut meat into bite sized chunks
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan or wide based pot
- Add meat in batches and brown. Transfer the meat to your slow cooker
- Add onion, carrot, garlic and curry powder to the pan and braise for a couple of minutes until fragrant - transfer to your slow cooker
- Pour water into the pan and scrape up the gravy brownings from the bottom of the pan. Pour into the slow cooker
- Add lemon juice, apple, golden syrup and tomato to your slow cooker
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low.
You could substitute 1/2 cup sultanas for the chopped apple if you prefer.