My Mum always offered this salad with cold meats. You can use any type of cucumber, but if it's an apple cucumber or a common green cucumber, you will need to peel it too. You would only need half a telegraph cucumber or 2 lebanese cucumbers.
The salad should be made close to serving time or the banana will discolour and the cucumber and tomato will turn to mush. The salad does not keep well.
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 salad onion, sliced
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup malt vinegar
- Layer cucumber, onion, bananas and tomatos in a serving bowl
- dissolve the sugar in the hot water
- add the vinegar to the sugar mixture
- pour the dressing over the salad
- serve with a barbecue or cold sliced meat with other salads.