Unlike the Quick Tomato Relish, this recipe takes a little longer to prepare but will also keep longer in the fridge.
- 12 large tomatoes
- 5 onions
- sml handful of salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tab curry powder
- 1 tab mustard powder
- Cut tomatoes up, place in a glass bowl and sprinkle with half the salt.
- Cut the onions up into another glass bowl and sprinkle with rest of salt.
- Let the tomatoes and onions stand for 12 hours.
- Strain liquid from both tomato and onion and combine and discard the liquid.
- Place the vegetables in a large saucepan and cover with vinegar.
- Boil for 10 mins or until soft.
- Add dry ingredients mixed with a little vinegar.
- Stir over heat until sugar dissolves
- Bring back to the boil then remove from the heat.
- Pour the relish into steralised jars.
If the relish seems a little thin, you can thicken with a couple of teaspoons of cornflour mixed to a paste with water. Add the cornflour between steps 8 and 9.