Full of flavour and a great accompaniment to a barbeque.
- approximately 500g beetroot
- 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar (according to taste)
- 1/2 litre of white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of allspice
- 6 cloves
- 6 peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- cook the beetroot by boiling in water until tender - you might like to try roasting them instead.
- peel and slice or quarter the beetroot.
- pack into sterilised jars.
- combine all the other ingredients in a large saucepan.
- bring to the boil, then remove from the heat.
- allow to stand (covered) for 20 minutes to cool.
- strain the vinegar mixture (if desired)
- pour over the beetroot slices in the jar, making sure that they are well covered with the liquid.
- seal with non corrosive lids.
Note: Try adding other spices, such as ginger, cardamon or star anise.
I prefer to keep the pickle in the refrigerator and it will keep for a couple of weeks this way.