This is a great way to use up chokoes when you have too many on hand. Use a stainless steel pot because relish will react with an aluminium saucepan and spoil the flavour.
- 2 kilos chokoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 750g white sugar
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 2 large white onions, finely diced
- 400g dates, pitted and chopped
- 250g glacé ginger, chopped
- 650ml white vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan
- Turn on the heat and cook gently for about 2 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent the relish sticking
- Bottle in sterilised jars
- Serve with your favourite meat.