The capsicum and apple will add a naturally sweet tang to this relish. Don't be tempted to reduce the sugar content or keeping quality may be compromised.
- 1kg red capsicums
- 2 spanish salad onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 green apples, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp grated black pepper
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 cups red-wine vinegar
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- quarter the capsicums, remove the core, seeds and membrane
- thinly slice the flesh crosswise
- combine the capsicum, apple, onion, garlic, ginger, spices and vinegar in a large pot or heavy based boiler
- bring to the boil and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes, or until the capsicum is soft
- add the sugar and stir over low heat until completely dissolved.
- cover and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/4 hours, or until the relish has reduced and thickened
- prepare jars by washing, rinsing and drying in a warm oven.
- spoon the relish into the hot jars and seal.
Add a finely chopped long red chilli to put some heat into this relish if you wish.
Store in a cool cupboard for a few weeks to allow the flavours to develop. Use within 1 year and refrigerate after opening.