Lemon Spread, Lemon Butter, Lemon Cheese - they're all the same. So quick and easy in the microwave and the following recipe makes 3 small jars. Keep them in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. You can use the spread as a filling for small tarts.
- 3 lemons
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tab butter
- Grate the rind from one lemon and add to a microwave safe, large glass jug.
- Juice the 3 lemons into another jug or container
- Add the 3 eggs to the lemon juice and whisk.
- Strain the juice and egg mixture through a fine seive into the large glass jug.
- Add the sugar and butter
- Microwave on high for 1 minute, remove and stir.
- Repeat the last step until the mixture begins to bubble and become clear.
- Pour into warm jars and seal with lids.
- Allow to cool
Variation - Passionfruit Spread
Substitute one of the lemons with the pulp from 3 large or 4 small passionfruit.
- Add the pulp to the large glass jug - no need to strain.
- Follow the recipe above for cooking and storing.
You can add any soft fruit pulp or juice to the basic lemon spread mixture. Try the following:
- add 1 ripe banana mashed, or
- replace 1 lemon with 3 kiwi fruit peeled and finely chopped, or
- replace one lemon with an orange and substitute the lemon rind with the grated rind from the orange, or
- replace 1 lemon with 1/2 cup grated pineapple
- use limes instead of lemons - 5 limes should do it.