This dish can be cooked in a slow cooker, in the oven or on the stove. Use cheaper cuts of beef as it will become tender during cooking. You can also add vegetables to the dish if you wish - carrots, potatoes, capsicum all work well.
- 1 kg beef
- 2 tab plain flour
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups of vegetables (optional)
- 2 tab sweet paprika
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- seasoning (salt and pepper)
- fresh herbs, such as parsley, basil and thyme (sprig of each)
- bay leaf
- 2 cups stock (or water and 2 stock cubes)
- 1 cup sour cream
- cube the beef and toss into a plastic bag with the flour. Seal the bag and shake until meet is covered with flour.
- meanwhile, heat a heavy based stock pot and then pour in a little oil
- brown the meat in batches, adding more oil if necessary
- fry off the onion and garlic (and any other vegetables you are using)
- add the paprika and fry a little then add all the meat and vegetables back into the pot
- add the tinned tomatoes, fresh herbs, bay leaf and stock.
- bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer
- cover and cook for 1 hour but check regularly and add more water if the sauce becomes a little thick. Give it a stir every 15 minutes or so and if the sauce is sticking to the bottom, you probably need more water.
- check the seasoning and adjust if necessary
- add the sour cream and stir - do not allow to boil
- serve with rice, pasta or mashed potatoes.
If you are cooking in a slow cooker or oven, reduce the stock to 1 cup and check half way thruogh to see if you need more. Cover your casserole dish if using the oven.