Massaman Curry Paste
Fragrant and not too hot. Use with beef, chicken or pork. If you leave out the fish sauce, you can use it for a vegetarian meal.
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 small onion or 3 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 red chillies, seeds removed and flesh roughly chopped
- 4 cm piece galangal (or ginger), peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, outer leaves and bulb removed, then sliced thinly (or 2 tablespoons bottled lemongrass)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, sliced
- 1/4 cup peanut or macadamia paste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or 1 tablespoon shrimp paste (optional)
- Toast coriander seeds, peppercorns, cumin seeds and cardamom seeds until fragrant.
- pour into a mortar and pound seeds until powdered
- add all other ingredients and pound until you have a pase
- bottle and refrigerate until required.
This mix will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks. I generally use half the mix for a serving to 4 people.