Here are two sweet dumpling recipes for you to try. Both are real comfort foods but are quick to prepare and filling.
- 30g butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 1/4 cups SR flour
- 30g butter extra
- 1/3 cup brown sugar extra
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- Combine butter, sugar and water in a saucepan and simmer over low heat until sugar is dissolved
- Boil for 3 minutes
- pour syrup into an oven proof casserole dish
- sift flour into a basin, rub in butter and stir in the sugar
- combine milk, vanilla and bananas and add to the flour
- stir until just combined
- drop spoonfulls of dough into the syryp
- cover and bake in a moderately hot oven for 20 minutes
- serve with icecream or custard.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tab butter
- 1 tab golden syrup
- 1 extra tab butter
- 1 cup SR flour
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup milk (approx)
- Place water, sugar, butter and syrup into a large saucepan
- stir until sugar dissolves
- bring to the boil
- meanwhile, add flour and salt into a bowl and rub in the butter
- mix in the egg and enough milk to make a thick batter - it needs to be sticky but not thin enough to pour
- drop tablespoons of the dough into the boiling syrup until all the dough has been used.
- cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. The dough will puff up and most of the liquid will be absorbed.
- Serve with custard or icecream.