Baked Creamed Rice
I like this recipe because I prefer not to stand and stir while the rice pudding cooks in a saucepan on the stove. So much easier in the oven and you only have to stir it a couple of times to distribute the rice.
- 1/3 cup short or medium grain rice (arborio works well)
- 2 tab sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tab sultanas (optional)
- Place rice in a large buttered casserole dish,
- add sugar,essence, sultanas and milk, and give it a stir
- bake in a moderately slow oven for 1 1/2 hours,stiring every 1/2 hour or so - you may need to add a little more milk as it is absorbed & mixture thickens
- bake a further 1/2 hour or till the top has browned
- serve with stewed or canned fruit.