Something a little different. You mix the dough, let it rise once, add a topping and bake. It's like a cross between a sweet bun and a cake. Slice it in two, add a custard filling and it's like a bee sting.
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 100g butter
- 1 cup warm water (blood heat)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon castor sugar
- Grease a large round cake pan and line it with baking paper. Grease the paper.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl, mix together and make a well
- stir the butter in the warm water until melted and add it and the egg to the well in the dry ingredients
- using your fingers and hands, gently combine the ingredients - don't over mix
- pour mix into the prepared cake pan
- cover and let stand in a warm spot until the mixture doubles
- combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of the cake
- bake in a hot oven for 30 - 40 minutes
- let the cake sit in the pan for 5 minutes then turn out onto a rack.
- serve with butter or jam and cream.
Another way to prepare this cake is to add a chocolate layer. Mix the following ingredients together into a paste:
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup milk powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
Pour half the dough mix into the pan, top with the chocolate paste and then pour the other half of the dough mix onto the filling. Bake as per previous recipe.