This sponge is simple to make but you do need to be gentle while folding in the flour and milk so that you don't lose the aeration.
- 170g softened butter
- 170g castor sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 170g SR flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat your oven to moderate heat
- grease and flour 2 sandwich tins (small round cake pans)
- cream butter and sugar really well, until the sugar dissolves then gradually add the beaten eggs, mixing well.
- remove the bowl from the mixer and using a spoon, gently fold in the sifted flour and baking powder
- add the milk and vanilla, again folding gently
- divide the mixture between the two pans
- bake for 20 minutes
- allow to cool on a rack then decorate as desired.