Mum always seemed to make the best sponge cakes, sometimes completely by hand but later using her trusty Sunbeam Mixmaster. Maybe it was the wood burning stove that made them turn out so nice?
Here's her recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup SR flour
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/4 cup boiling milk
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to moderate heat
- grease and flour two cake pans
- beat the egg whites to a stiff peak
- beat the egg yolks and gradually add to the beaten egg whites
- slowly add the sugar, a spoonful at a time while still beating the mixture
- lightly fold in the flour
- melt the butter in the milk and add the soda to the milk
- fold the frothing milk mixture into the egg mixture
- pour the cake mixture into the two prepared cake pans
- bake for about 20 minutes
- remove cakes and allow to cool
- decorate and serve
Don't open your oven until well into the baking period or the cakes may sink.
This cake mix has a dry texture because it contains very little fat. It is best served when fresh and of course, with lots of whipped cream and strawberries.