Pineapple Fruit Cake
This is a variation on the boiled fruit cake which is easy to make. I didn't have dried fruit mix one time and substituted dates and now prefer this version. I don't ice this cake as it's quite rich enough.
- 440g can crushed pineapple
- 500g mixed fruit (or dates)
- 125g butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp mixed spice (or allspice)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup SR flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- place pineapple, mixed fruit, butter, sugar, spice and soda into a large saucepan.
- stir over heat until sugar has dissolved
- bring to the boil and let it boil for 3 mins.
- take off the heat and let the fruit mixture cool to room temperature
- fold in the other ingredients
- line a large cake pan and spray generously with oil
- pour in the cake mixture and drop the pan onto your bench a couple of times to make sure all the air has been removed
- bake in a moderately slow oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until cooked when tested.
- cover and remove from the tin when the cake is cold.