A simple, moist and tasty cake that keeps well and freezes too - if there's any left over.
- 1 cup dried dates, roughly chopped to check for stones
- 1/3 cup sugar (brown or castor)
- 60g butter
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 3/4 cup SR flour (white or wholemeal)
- 1 tsp mixed spice (or allspice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Grease and line a loaf tin
- Preheat your oven to moderate temperature
- Mix dates, sugar, butter and hot water in a bowl until the butter has been incorporated
- Add the SR flour, soda and mixed spice - stir until all ingredients are mixed in
- Add the vanilla extract and walnuts and mix
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin
- Bake for 45 to 50 mins until the cake is done when tested.
- Leave it to rest for 5 mins and turn out of tin to cool.
- Serve sliced and unadorned or spread with a little butter if you must....
You could sprinkle the nuts over the top of the mixture instead of mixing them in before baking. This cake could be served as a dessert. Simply slice and heat in the microwave then serve with caramel sauce, a little icecream or whipped cream. Custard would work well too.