This basic butter cake can be flavoured in any number of ways. It's also a good cake for lamingtons.or for shaping into birthday cakes. The texture is dense because it uses a fair amount of plain flour.
This quantity will fit a deep 20cm cake pan. You can double the quantity of ingredients if you need a larger cake.
- 125g butter (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup SR flour
- ¼ tsp bicarb soda
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat your oven to moderate heat
- grease and flour your cake pan
- cream the butter and sugar until fluffy and light in colour
- add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
- remove the bowl from your mixer and fold in the dry ingredients alternatively with the milk, finishing with flour.
- pour mixture into your prepared cake pan
- bake for 1¼ hours (it will be pulling from the sides and a lovely golden colour)
- cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- ice and decorate as desired.