Boiled Fruit Cake
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 375 g mixed fruit
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup rum (Bundaberg Rum, of course)
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Using a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat with brown sugar, golden syrup, mixed fruit, spices and rum. Simmer for three minutes.
- Take the saucepan off the heat, add bicarbonate of soda and mix thoroughly. Set aside to allow the mixture to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 175C. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line base and sides with 2 layers of baking paper.
- When mixture is cool, add flour and eggs, mixing well. Spoon mixture into the prepared tin, smoothing the top.
- Bake for 40-60 minutes.
- Cool on rack and turn out when cold.