Armenian Nutmeg Cake
I found this recipe many years ago in a Family Circle magazine and it has become a favourite. Very easy to make and easier to eat. It is an interesting cake because it has a biscuit base and a nutty cake topping.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups SR flour
- 4 oz (125g) butter or marg
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Rub butter into flour and sugar in large bowl.
- Press ½ this mixture into greased 8 inch round cake tin. Put other ½ aside.
- Mix beaten egg ,milk and soda in small bowl.
- Add nutmeg.
- Pour this mixture into dry mixture in large bowl and mix well.
- Pour on top of mix in cake tin.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake in moderate oven for about 1 hour.
- Leave cake to cool in tin for 15 minutes before removing to a cooling tray.
IMPORTANT: Don't be too quick to take the cake out of the pan. Leave it the full 15 minutes to cool or the base will be left in the pan.