Poached egg with avocado and watercress
If you use watercress, you'll find that the peppery flavour goes so well well the egg and avocado. Adding lemon juice to the avocado is also a must because it lifts the rather bland flavour of the creamy avocado.
This is one serve but can easily be increased if you are serving more people.
- 1 fresh egg
- 1 thick slice of toast, unbuttered
- 1/2 small avocado, mashed
- squeeze of lemon juice
- generous hand full of watercress
- salt and pepper
- Put a small saucepan on to boil and when the water starts to dance, carefully slip your egg into the water. Cook the egg to your liking - I like mine done to the stage of the white is set but the yolk is runny which is about the 2 minute point.
- mix the avocado, lemon juice and a small pinch each of salt and pepper and spread it on your toast.
- pick the larger stems from the cress and arrange the leaves on top of the avocado
- place the poached egg on top and season to your liking.
Other greens such as fancy lettuce leaves or other salad greens can be substituted for the watercress if this is unavailable.
Recipe inspired by one provided by Martha Stewart.