This dish is rather special and is something I like to order at a cafe for Sunday brunch. The cafe is then rated by how much I enjoy their Eggs Benny.
The Hollandaise sauce can't be made ahead so timing is critical. However, you can cheat by purchasing a bottled sauce put out by Maille. You can find it in most supermarkets usually where you find tomato sauces, pickles, mustards or near the salad dressings.
The following recipe is for one serving.
2 slices of ham (shaved or sliced off the Christmas ham)
1 serving Hollandaise Sauce
1 English muffin or 2 slices of Italian crusty bread
- Split the muffin and toast it or toast the crusty bread
- Meanwhile, fold the shaved ham loosely to the size of the bread you are using and lightly grill the ham in a non-stick pan
- Assemble by placing the ham on top of the toast, then the poached egg
- Drizzle a generous tablespoon of Hollandaise Sauce over the egg and serve immediatly.
- Instead of ham, use spinach leaves or roughly chopped silverbeet leaves that have been tossed in a pan until wilted.
- Add wilted spinach leaves to the recipe above for more interest.
- Replace the ham in the above recipe with finely sliced smoked salmon but don't grill the fish.