Bubble & Squeak
This traditionally English dish was a way of using up the leftover vegetables from the Sunday roast. Usually potato and cabbage are the usual ingredients but other vegetables are also used in the mixutre.
My version contains a little protein by way of egg and cheese but these are not necessary. You can plan to have Bubble and Squeak ingredients ready by preparing extra vegetables cooked and left over from the night before. The only essential ingredient is mashed potato - or chopped roasted potato - and any other left over vegies are suitable. You can add some frozen peas or beans for colour if you want to.
- 1 cup mashed potato
- 1 cup other cooked vegetables (chopped if necessary)
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cheese
- pepper to season
- Heat a fypan on the stovetop and add a dob of butter or a tab of oil.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl
- Spread the mixture evenly in the pan
- When brown on the bottom, flip the mixture over to continue browning another surface - doesn't matter if it breaks up.
- Serve hot as it is, with bacon or sausages or with tomato sauce.
Note: Recipe quantities are approximate - it doesn't really matter what proportion of vegies you have so use your imagination.