This is a nice Sunday brunch dish for yourself or a crowd. The recipe can be prepared the night before up to breaking the eggs. This recipe will serve one or two people.
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium tomato, roughly diced
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon marinated feta cheese cubes
- 1 teaspoon spiced oil from the feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine tomatoes, mushrooms, feta, oil and seasoning in a small baking dish
- mix all the ingredients together except for the eggs
- make 2 depressions in the mixture and crack an egg into each
- bake uncovered in a moderate oven until eggs are cooked to your liking - 15 to 20 minutes should do it.
- serve with crusty bread or toast to mop up the juices.
Double or triple the ingredients and increase the baking time. You can add chopped capsicum or eggplant for a variation.
Another variation is to replace the feta and oil with:
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
I sometimes do this in a frypan to make it even quicker and cooking it in the microwave also works. Saute all the ingredients except the eggs and feta until the vegetables are soft. Make hollows and break an egg into each then add the feta on top of the sauce. Cover and reduce heat to the lowest point, cooking until the eggs are set.