Sourdough Flat Bread
I'm naming this recipe "Flat Bread" because of it's generic style. It's very basic, quick to make and can be adapted to any cuisine you like. Ingredients:
- 250g sourdough starter (100% hydration)
- 200g bread flour
- 50g filtered water
- pinch salt (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl to form a dough
- sprinkle flour on a work surface and knead the dough, adding a little more flour to stop it sticking to your hands and surface
- divide into 4 roughly equal pieces
- heat a non stick frypan to medium heat
- roll out one of the dough pieces to a circular disc shape approximately 15cm in diameter.
- place in the pan and cook one side approx 1 minute until you have brown spots on the under side
- flip the bread and cook the other side
- set aside and cover to keep the bread soft
- cook the remaining breads and serve
Chapatis - pretty much the recipe as is, you can replace some of the water with milk or yoghurt for a softer bread.
Naan - stuff or flavour the dough with anything you desire, roll the dough to a tear drop shape and lay on a baking tray, cover and allow to rise for about 90 mins then brush with a little melted butter before baking in the oven.
Wheat Tortilla - add a little oil (2 tab) to the bowl with the other ingredients and divide into 6 pieces - the dough will be a little stickier. Roll to a very thin 15cm disc between freezer paper or using a place, press the dough ball firmly. Cook as above
Pita - mine puffed nicely so cook as above but split and fill as you like