These are so simple to make - pancakes without the eggs and milk. I bought some BBQ egg rings some time back with the idea that they would make very good crumpet rings. They are larger than other egg rings, measuring 10cm in diameter and with a height of 2cm. Non stick and they work very well. Look for them in Big W or the supermarkets in the BBQ goodies section.
If you don't have large egg rings, make your crumpets free form.
This recipe uses up some of that left over sourdough starter that you don't want to throw away. You should get 3-4 crumpets from this quantity but feel free to double or triple the ingredients.Ingredients:
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda.
- Heat a frying pan with a lid to a medium temperature
- grease 3 or 4 large egg rings and place them in the pan
- mix all the ingredients together - it will start to bubble immediately.
- add a little more butter to the bottom of the pan
- scoop 1/3 cup of mixture into each egg ring and cover the pan
- cook the crumpets for about 4 or 5 minutes or until the tops of the crumpets have set
- remove the egg rings and flip the crumpet over - cook for another 30 seconds
- remove to a plate and serve with butter, jam or honey.
Nice eaten immediately or toasted. You can freeze any left over crumpets for another day. Try a savoury topping instead of sweet for a change.