Bun Loaf with Caramel Bits
This recipe is for the bread maker but you can mix and proof manually if you like.
For the Bun Loaf:
- 150ml boiling water
- 50g butter
- 75ml milk
- 1 egg
- 40g sugar
- 500g strong white bread flour
- 1 heaped teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 75g Caramel Bits
For the Glaze:
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
Make the Bun Loaf:
- Pour the water into a jug with the butter and stir until the butter melts. Add the milk and egg and mix together. Pour this mixture into your bread pan.
- Add the sugar, flour, spice, salt, and finally, the yeast on top of the liquid in your bread pan. Set your bread maker to a sweet dough and size 1000g. If your machine has a nuts dispenser, turn it on and add the caramel bits to the dispenser. Hit the start button.
- Add the caramel bits to the dough at the beeps if your bread maker doesn’t come with a nuts dispenser.
- When the bread has baked, remove the bread from the pan and set it to cool on a cake cooler. Don’t forget the glaze.
Make the Glaze:
- Dissolve the caster sugar in the boiling water. Brush the hot loaf with the glaze.
This recipe started out as buns but it's easier to make a loaf in the bread maker as the toasted slices are delightful - with lots of butter, of course.