Carmen put in a special request for this recipe because she has fond memories of Grandma Gordon's version. After much discussion, we believe that this version is probably the one she remembers. It needs no baking and your choice whether you want to top the slice with passionfruit icing.
Slice will keep refrigerated for a couple of days but the biscuits will soften over this time.
Ingredients for slice:
- 2 packets of Arnotts Lattice biscuits
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup pure cream, whipped to very soft peaks
- 1 packet Cottees instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for passionfruit icing:
- 2 cups soft icing sugar
- 1 - 2 passionfruit
- Arrange 1 packet of biscuits on the base of a slice tray
- soften the gelatin in the 2 tablespoons water, then heat the mixture (in a microwave set on low, or over low heat in a saucepan) until the gelatin has melted and the mixture is clear
- let it cool slightly
- fold a bit of the whipped cream into the gelatin, then fold that back into the remaining whipped cream
- mix the instant pudding with the milk and vanilla, stirring for 2 minutes
- immediately fold the whipped cream/gelatin mixture into the pudding (the pudding will begin to set up, so work quickly)
- spread the pudding mix over the top of the layered biscuits
- arrange the remaining biscuits over the top of the pudding mix
- remove the pulp from the passionfruit
- carefully start adding pulp to the icing sugar until you have a spreadable consistency
- top your slice with passionfruit icing
- cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour
- cut the slice, using the biscuits as a guide - you may want to cut the biscuits in half to make fingers.
You will need to experiment with your tray - find one that allows you to arrange the biscuits from one packet into the base.