Really easy and tasty slice - one of my Mum's recipes
- 125g butter
- 1 cup brown sugar (loose, don't tamp it down)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup SR flour
- Heat your oven to moderate setting
- grease and line a slice pan - set aside
- melt the butter in a large saucepan (this will be your mixing bowl)
- add brown sugar and stir until combined but don't allow to boil
- add egg, dates and flour
- mix well and spread into the slice pan, flattening the top as you go
- bake in oven for 20 minutes
- cut into squares but leave in the pan to cool
- ice when the slice has cooled.
A really nice topping is to use the fudge topping on this site.
You can replace some of the dates with chopped walnuts or chopped cherries for something a little different.