This is my preferred "gingernut" recipe - it has more spices added and keeps in an airtight container for a week or so. The original recipe asked for 185g of butter, but I find using less gives a nicer (and less calorific) result.
- 125g butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 cups plain flour
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp powdered cinnamon
- 1 tsp powdered cloves
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- extra sugar for rolling
- cream the butter, sugar and syrup
- mix in the egg
- fold in the dry ingredients, except for the extra sugar
- form into a ball, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to firm up.
- take portions and form into small balls - think walnut shell size
- roll balls in sugar
- place on a lined baking tray and flatten - use the bottom of a wide glass dipped in sugar for an even result.
- bake in a moderate oven for 20 minutes or until lightly browned
- remove to a cooling rack
- when cool, store in an airtight container