Need a doughnut fix but not all that fat? This is the recipe for you. You will need a doughnut pan or you can use a muffin pan or better yet, a domed patty pan.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups SR flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar extra
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Turn your oven on to medium and prepare your doughnut tray by spraying with oil or greasing with a little butter.
- mix all the ingredients except for the extra sugar and cinnamon
- dollop one tablespoon (no more) of batter into each hole. You don't have to be careful, but you may want to wipe any extra batter off the centre of the "hole"
- bake for 15 to 20 mins but check after 10 if your oven is fan forced or runs hot.
- let the tray cool for about 5 minutes while you prepare the cinnamon sugar
- roll each doughnut in the sugar and eat while warm.
These doughnuts are best eaten on the day they are baked but are still nice the next day if you keep them covered.